Apparently blogging more regularly should have been a New Year’s Resolution for me.
The year is off to a good start and I’m happy with some of the progress I’m making.
Swim- 13 miles
Bike- 192 miles
Run- 106 miles
Swim- 12 miles
Bike- 353 miles
Run- 70 miles
- Swim– My swim game has improved already this year. My husband has a pretty strong swim background and worked last year to get some coaching certifications. For 2016 he has taken over the role of swim coach for our tri club. What this means is I’m going to structured workouts with other people more often. It’s been a lot of fun learning new things in a group setting and I find I push myself more on some of those intervals when I’m trying to keep up with the speed demons of the group!
- Bike– I’ve been spending a lot more time on my bike the last couple months. Late 2015 I was hardly on my bike at all. I’m really loving my new tri bike and especially the bike fit. All last year was a struggle because I was sore from my saddle/position after every. single. ride. Although a lot of my rides have been indoors on the trainer, I’ve gotten to sneak in a few outside rides on unseasonably nice days and am quite happy both places.
- Run– I ended my run streak in January after battling an angry foot for most of the month. Back to running 3-4 days/week for me cut down my mileage a bit in February, but I’ve enjoyed lots of great runs. I also had my longest trail run of 12+ miles at the Little Woods Ultra at the beginning of January.
- Frostbite Series– My family completed the Frostbite Series in Forest Park in St. Louis over the winter. It is put on by the St. Louis Track Club and was a really fun way to stay active on a few Saturdays where hibernating was really tempting. My husband and son signed up for the short course option. My daughter and I did the long course option, her goal was to complete her first half marathon. We all had some milestone races and paces at the Frostbite Series and really enjoyed it, this will probably be a family tradition each year!
Also, Grace rocked her first half marathon. She ran strong the entire time, never hit “the wall” and finished with an official time of 2:00:56!
5. Tour of Sufferlandria– Last year when I started training for IM Boulder, I discovered Sufferfest videos. I love to hate them. Somehow this type of workout kicks my butt. Every. Single. Time. I started the 2015 TOS and quit half-way through, not so in 2016. For all of you non-Sufferlandrians, here’s a brief rundown. They’re bike videos that show footage of amazing locations and really fast people on bikes. And they ask more of you than just about any other kind of workout. The Tour of Sufferlandria is a challenge they do each year with a sick, brutal combination of videos. Over 9 days, I rode prescribed videos, some days with two videos back to back. I expected to feel completely beaten down by the end of the challenge, but was feeling stronger with each ride. Until the last day, that one really just about did me in. Regardless it was a fun challenge and one I’ll do again!
6. High School Students– I’m coaching a group of high school students to run their first half-marathon this April. From October-April we meet twice a week after school and on Saturdays. Not gonna lie, it’s been a very big time commitment on my part (and theirs). There are days where I absolutely love it and am so excited that I’m sharing my love of running with these kids. There are days where I feel completely beat down because I don’t feel like I’m getting through and don’t feel like they’re challenging themselves at all. But overall it has been a lot of fun and I can’t wait to see what these kids think of their first race experience and especially their first finish line experience!
7. My own training and goals. My 2016 race calendar is shaping up and I’m excited about a it. I’m working towards some hopefully big PRs and exciting racedays!
April 10- GO! St. Louis Half Marathon with my high school students
April 30- Kentucky Derby Half Marathon
June 5- Legend 70.3 Triathlon
July 9- IM Muncie 70.3 Triathlon
*August 14- IM Steelehead 70.3 Triathlon *Maybe…I’m still debating on this one.
Cheers to goals, improvement and loving life!